Our Ohio Vacation, 2010

I’ve been wanting to write this for some time now, but I just have not been able to find the time.

As you all know, we went to Ohio for a week in July. Leigh came over every day while we were there, driving 45 minutes each way, having been asked to stay at Geoff’s while we were there so that Jenna could sleep in her room.

So we drove up on Saturday night. The drive went pretty well. Kids stayed up a little later than usual, probably due to the fact that they were watching DVDs. We made the drive in just over 7 hours, arriving at 3:30am local time. Fortunately for everyone, the kids went to bed when we got there instead of staying up like last year.

Sunday during the day we took it easy since we were running on about 4 hours of sleep. Eric and I tried to sleep in, but just didn’t make it past 8am. That changed later in the week. 🙂 One day we didn’t get up until 9:30. Total bliss for people who get up at 6am on weekdays and usually about 6:30-7:00 on weekends.

Sunday night we had lots of company over for dinner: Grandma & Grandpa, Aunt Carole, Uncle Richard, Uncle Mark, Aunt Kathy, Uncle Dave, & Vel. It was great to see everyone!

Monday we drove out to Aunt Mary Ellen’s for a BBQ. We forgot the diaper bag which meant we had no regular diapers and no pacifier for Beth. We had swim diapers. We were hoping that Beth would sleep in the car on the way because it was nap-time, but she didn’t. She cried alot, in spite of the DVD player going. When we got into town, we stopped at the Dollar store and acquired 2 pacifiers, diapers and wipes. We all had a good-time in the pool and even Beth went in. I’ve come to realize in later weeks that Beth’s crying in the pool has more to do with the fact that she doesn’t want to do what Mommy wants her to do and less to do with not wanting to be in the water. Anyway, we left there about 4:00 and Beth was asleep before we were 5 minutes away! That was the start of us figuring out that Beth did not actually need to nap at 10am. That night she was in a really good mood.

Monday night we had pizza for dinner (Marco’s White Cheesy, yum!) because we got back about 5:45 and Mom and Dad were 30 minutes behind us because they stopped somewhere along the way.

Tuesday we took Alex to see Toy Story 3. His first movie in a movie theater. Jenna went too, but she’d already seen it. He was pretty good. We sat through the previews munching popcorn and then just as the movie started, he needed to go potty. One time I wished he was still in diapers! So we ran (literally) to the potty and back, missing the first part of the movie. He sat through most of it, only getting up twice. The first time he was dancing back and forth and I told him to sit down. The second time he was standing still, so I let him be. I think he really enjoyed it, but the movie was much more emotional than I was expecting. About two minutes from the end, Alex wanted to go potty again. This time I made him wait because lately he’d been going potty a lot and then not really going much. As soon as the movie ended, I sent him to the bathroom with Eric. That day I think that Beth took her nap around noon. I don’t actually know what Mom and Dad did with her while we were gone, but I’m pretty sure she went down for her nap either just before or just after we got back from the movie, which has started at 10:30.

Tuesday night Eric and I went to dinner by ourselves, at Carrie Cerino’s. It’s always nice for us to get out alone once in a while. The hard part was finding a restaurant since Eric and I like to go to smaller, family owned places rather than big chains. But Mom remembered this place because my grandmother worked there at some point in the past, long before I was born. It was really good. We even ordered dessert and my was so rich I had to take more than half of it home! Grandma and Grandpa came over for dinner again that night because even through Eric and I weren’t there, the great-grandkids were. Mom got some movies of Beth interacting with both of them.

Wednesday we went to the zoo. It was about 90 degrees and boy were we hot! Even Eric and I went under the sprinklers when we found them. We had a good time, though. Beth walked more than she rode. We had put her down for her nap around 10:30 so that she would be up by 1:30 and we could do the zoo in the afternoon. We paid to see the Dinosaur exhibit, which was good. Jenna bought a couple of ICEEs, which we all shared. We headed home by 4:00 and were very happy to get the air-conditioning going in the van!

Wednesday night Leigh brought Geoff over for dinner to meet us. And, of course, Beth was cranky, much to Leigh’s chagrin. We realized it was the first time all week Beth had gotten her nap at her usual time and decided to try pushing it back the rest of the week.

Thursday I stayed home with Beth while Mom, Dad, Eric, Jenna, Leigh and Alex went mini-golfing. It was another hot day, but they survived. They left when Beth went down for her nap at 1:00. I got the quiet time that I’d been craving. From what I heard, everyone had fun. When Beth got up from her nap, I got her ready to go swimming in the pool Mom and Dad had bought for the kids. We were outside setting up the sprinkler instead when they got back. Alex immediately put on his swimsuit and joined in.

Thursday night we had Grandma & Grandpa and Uncle Dave over for dinner. The kids were still in the pool when they got there, so Grandma & Grandpa sat on the patio (in the shade) and watched for a while.

Friday Mom & Dad took the kids to the park in the morning and showed them off at the library (which is right next to the park). I think Jenna stayed home with us. No one came for dinner that night since we were getting a little burned out on company.

Saturday we took it easy again. Eric napped in the afternoon, as did Beth, getting ready for the long drive ahead of us. Ironically, that might have been a mistake. We left Mom & Dad’s around 7pm local time (6pm WI time) and made great time home, arriving just before 1am. Beth had been up until 10:30pm when I finally turned off the DVD player. Alex had fallen asleep at least an hour earlier. She fell asleep within 10 minutes. When we got home, the kids went to bed, I went to bed, and Eric couldn’t sleep. It was either the nap or too much caffeine on the way, but he ended up going to bed at 9:00am when I got up. Alex had gone downstairs around 6am and was on the computer when I got downstairs and I think Beth was just getting up when I did.

And you would think that would be the end of our adventures, but you would be wrong. Wait for part II, “Mom and Dad Babysit”!

One thought on “Our Ohio Vacation, 2010

  1. WOW ! Sounds like you had quite a wonderful vacation. I am glad you got to see everyone and got to swim with Aunt Mary Ellen. She always knows how to throw a great party, even an afternoon swim! Know that the next adventure will be just as entertaining.

    Love, Aunt Lynn